Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Time For A Change

This summer I had made the decision to home school my kids. I had researched different curriculum and was all set to go. I had mentioned to a few people that I would be homeschooling and they went on about how hard it is and how I have little children, blah blah, etc. So I chickened out and stuck them back into their school. Well a month went by and although I loved the curriculum at their school I wasn't enjoying ALL the extra activities and time commitment. My friend that I was carpooling with decided to take her daughters out and that would mean I would have to start driving back and forth everyday three times a day. So I took my kids out last week and have been homeschooling. I LOVE IT!! I am getting so much quality time with my kids. I know exactly what they are learning and where they need to be challenged and where they need a little help. It is so nice to set my own schedule, do my own field trips even Johnny is taking the kids for 2 hours once a week to teach Spanish and Geography. I am really lucky to have 2 other families in my neighbor who also home school so that we can have our recess around the same time and to have their help and support on what I am doing. My kids really enjoy it, especially Ethan.

I thought the house would be a constant wreck while doing this but it hasn't been to bad (other than Joshua ripping everything apart) Since they're home they help do the dishes and keep the kitchen clean. Yesterday they sorted the laundry while we talked about some of the things we were learning. I guess I'll have to do post again in a couple of months when the newness has worn off and see if I'm still loving it :)

4 comments:

Parkinson Family said...

good for you, hope it goes well!

Abby said...

We need to talk. I have looked in to homeschooling; there is a family in my ward that I really admire that does a great job homeschooling. I'm glad you like it.

Slades said...

wow, you are brave. I'm interested to see how it goes. Will you just do it until their older?

Kelli said...

You are one brave lady! Good for you though, I sure couldn't do it. I'm glad you are enjoying it. My sis has been homeschooling for 9 years now, and it's been great for them!